Monday, February 26, 2007

How to extend your life

I read today in US News & World Report that "according to research, you can gain around two hours of life expectancy for each hour of regular exercise." Wow! That's quite motivational. The article proceeds, "Beginning an exercise routine doesn't have to feel like training for the Olympics; simply start small. Take the stairs instead of the elevator...Park your car further out in the parking lot."

I wonder if any research has been done on the converse -- e.g., "one week without exercise cuts one day off your life expectancy" (that's not research, it's just my surmising).

Small habits in many areas of life can produce big results--both positive and negative. I think about the long-term impact of the habit of putting a small amount of money into savings from every pay check...and the long-term impact of not doing that. How about the long-term impact of regular Bible study? The applications are myriad.

I think I need to pay more attention to my habits...including my inadvertent ones.

No comments: