Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Reading 2 Peter 1 this morning, I was reminded that Biblical knowledge is not an end in itself, but designed to enable Christ-followers to "participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires" (1:4). We must not be "ineffective and unproductive in [our] knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ" (1:8).

To increase knowledge without a resultant transformation of character is a perversion of God's design.

The intended goal of God's Word in my life is that I will add character qualities, most or all of which have to do with how I live and grow in relationship with others: "goodness, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, brotherly kindness, love" (1:5-7).

Which is more important, knowledge or character-development?

Which is more important, breathing or living?

As I live out the spiritual discipline of Bible study, I must never be content merely to increase my knowledge and understanding. I must ask if others can observe a difference in how I relate to them.

This has implications for how we do church. We must not be content merely to dispense Bible content. Our methodology should reflect our commitment to life transformation.

No comments: