Wednesday, November 02, 2016

"My God, my God, why have You forsaken Me?"

Jesus’ seven sayings from the cross are some of the most remarkable lines ever spoken. Together they form a stunning picture of what it means to live a righteous life in a sinful, violent world full of suffering and injustice.

Jesus’ grief-filled question is both theologically rich and wonderfully reassuring.

Jesus’ question reveals that He was not only God, but also genuinely human -- “Fully God and fully man” as theologians like to say. As a real man, He had feelings and emotions. Everything in Him shrank from His brutal suffering. Imagine His sense of betrayal by the One who loved Him the most! Imagine the pain of seeing His Father turn away and not help or rescue Him in His time of agony and greatest need! These were the first moments in all eternity when the perfect, intimate fellowship between Father and Son was broken.

His question reveals the horribleness of sin – how it separates us from God, creating distance, alienation, and loneliness. Jesus paid a horrific price so we could be completely forgiven.

Jesus’ question reveals that it’s okay to ask the question, “Why?” Jesus did.

His words reveals that questions, doubts, and faith are compatible. Introducing Jesus’ pain-filled question was His doubled affirmation of faith. His faith in God’s existence and in the solidarity of their relationship are embodied in the words, “My GOD, MY God.”

Have you been betrayed by people you loved? Have you experienced excruciating physical or emotional pain? Have you ever felt that God had abandoned you?

Don’t be afraid to tell God what you feel; then confess your faith – “My God!”

“God, my God, I do not understand why you allow pain and injustice in my life and in the world, but I believe that You are God and You will not forsake me. Help me to trust you and to do Your will no matter how hard it is.”

No comments: